Marion Township was formed from Putnam Township on March 11, 1837. To the north lies Howell, to the east Genoa,
to the south Putnam, and to the west Iosco.For surveying purposes, Marion was known as township 2 north, range
4 east. The township is named in honor of Gen. Francis Marion, a patriot of the American Revolution. In the
Carolinas, Gen. Marion was known as the "Swamp Fox." The highest point in Livingston County is found in Marion
Township. There are numerous lakes and streams with lake surfaces totaling about 700 acres. The Cedar and the
Shiawassee Rivers have their origin in this township.
MARION TOWNSHIP CEMETERIES
On the Marion Township web site is a
cemetery section. For each cemetery in the township, there is a history, a transcription of burials, and
a map of the cemetery.
- Drew Cemetery
is located on County Farm Road in the NW
quarter of Section 3, Marion Township. This is a private cemetery. It remains in the hands of the heirs of
Townsend Drew. This land was settled by the family of Townsend Drew in 1839.
- Green Cemetery is located in the NW quarter of section 19 of Marion Township on the
northwest corner of Pingree and Vines Road. The oldest headstone is of John F. Person who died 27 Apr 1837,
age 2 years.
- Harger Cemetery is located on the west side of Pinckney-Howell (D-19) Road about
one-half mile north of Coon Lake Road in the SE quarter of Section 23, Marion Township. This East Marion
Burying Ground was the gift of Andrew Hagar who settled here in 1846. The oldest tombstone is that of
Catherine Hunn who died 19 Nov 1847, age 80.
- Livingston County Poor Farm Cemetery is located off County Farm Road in the SW quartert of
Section 15, Marion Township. Today this cemetery is found in the Blossom Farms Estates Site Condominium in an
area known as "Blossom Park." There is a concrete path that leads from Magnolia Garden Drive to the cemetery.
This cemetery is owned and cared for by Livingston County.No burials have been made there since the county sold
the farm in 1939.
- Lake/Lakeside Cemetery is on the southeasterly side of Norton Road just south of Burkhart
Road in the NE quarter of Section 5, Marion Township. In 1836 and 1837 Rial and Mary Lake purchased land here.
The oldest tombstones in the cemetery are two of their daughters: Mary C. Lake, d. 5 Oct 1840, age 5 and
Flora A. Lake, d. 21 Oct 1840, age 1.
MARION TOWNSHIP CHURCHES
- Crossroads Apostolic Church, 144 Schroeder
Park Drive, Howell, MI 48843 Telephone: 517-548-5920 Mailing address is PO Box 2174 Howell, MI 48844.
Crossroads is affiliated with the United Pentecostal Church International (UPCI). It has been in Marion
Township about 25 Years.
- Heart of the Shepherd Lutheran Church 228 North
Burkhart Road, Howell, MI 48843 Telephone: 517-552-7218