Originally named Iena, Conway Township is in the northwest corner of Livingston County.
The township is bounded on the north by Antrim Township of Shiawassee County, on the west by
Locke Township of Ingham County, on the east by Cohoctah Township, and on the south by Handy Township,
both of Livingston County. Iena Township was organized from Howell Township on March 6, 1838.
On March 20, 1841 Iena Township was renamed Conway Township. In surveying terms the township is described
as township 4 north, range 3 east. The land is level to rolling with few streams and lakes. It is
still today one of the largest farming communities in the county.
CONWAY TOWNSHIP CEMETERIES
- Antrim Baptist/Fuller Cemetery is located on the county line between Livingston and
Shiawassee counties on Lovejoy Road in section 2 of Conway township. Across the road in Shiawassee is the
Antrim Baptist Church. This cemetery is still active.
- Benjamin Cemetery is located at North Fowlerville and Sherwood Roads in the northeast
corner of section 27 of Conway Township. This cemetery is still active.
- Conway Cemetery is located on Gregory Road in section 15 of Conway Township. According to
the 1880 History of Livingston County, the township purchased 20 acres in the NW 1/4 of the SW 1/4 of section
15. At the publishing of the history book no improvements had been made to this cemetery. This cemetery is still
- Coughran Cemetery, the first burying ground in the township, is located on Owosso Road,
in the northeast corner of the southeast quarter of section 25. The Coughran Cemetery is named for John
Coughran who settled on this land with his wife Alma in 1837. Both are buried here. This cemetery is still
- United Brethen/Miller Cemetery is located on Stow Road, in the NW corner of the SW
quarter of Section 29 of Conway township. This cemetery is no longer active.
CONWAY TOWNSHIP CHURCHES
- Conway Free Methodist Church, 6995 North Fowlerville Road, Fowlerville, MI 48353
- New Covenant Christian Church 7400 Stow Road, Fowlerville, MI 48353