Township 4 north, range 3 east as designated by the United States survey is the township of Cohoctah. It is bounded on the north by Burns Township of Shiawassee County, on the west by Conway Township, on the east by Deerfield Township, and on the south by Howell Township, all of Livingston County. Tuscola Township was organized from Howell Township on March 6, 1838. On January 29, 1857 Tuscola Township was renamed Bristol Township. Quickly following on February 5, 1857, Bristol Township was renamed Cohoctah Township. The land is level to rolling with many swamps and marshes. The principal stream is the south branch of the Shiawassee River. It is still today one of the primary farming communities in the county. The burgs of Oak Grove, Cohoctah, and Cohoctah Center are the only population centers of the township.